Tuesday, December 05, 2006

God Gives the Increase (sermon)

Last Sunday, I preached from this same text; it lends itself to our policy of changing pastors. I had prepared a strong sermon for this Sunday, but in reflection, it would be hard for you all to receive much from someone whom you do not know. I am not Pastor Bracken, nor will I try to be. It was about this subject that Paul writes to the Chruch of Corinth in chapter 5 and verse 3.

What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have a common purpose, and each will receive wages according to the labor of each. 9 For we are God's servants, working together; you are God's field, God's building. 10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building on it. Each builder must choose with care how to build on it. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus Christ.

I’d just like to share a couple of thoughts this morning. If you’re a note taker, there are only four points.

1. I am not Apolos, Paul, or Bracken. I have not come to take his place holds in your hearts. I don’t expect you to forget him or the years he labored with you. Rather, I hope you can find a different place in your heart to begin a new friendship. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the next weeks and months. If I don’t remember your name right away, please forgive me. I’m bad with names, but I will strive to remember. I’m sure as we grow together, that will become much easier.

2. I have not come to be the boss, but to be a pastor -- one who walks alongside and with the sheep of God’s pasture. I want to work with you, as we strive to be all that God has called us to be in this place. I do not know where that path will take us, but I will go with you wherever God leads. And I’d like to make a Covenant with you -- to pray. I will be praying for you all. And I would ask you to be praying for your pastor. Not just a quick couple of words, but a vow to take each other before the heavenly throne and lift up the needs of our church and community. Pray that God would give me the strength and gifts that I will need, the wisdom and discernment to know where God is leading, and the annointing to be able to go there in victory.

3. I have not come to do away with what has come before. As Paul points out, that which is of God remains. And I hope to build on the work that has been done. We may retouch on some areas that have been dealt with before, and that can not be helped. But I hope that we will be able to grow together in faith, grace, and love.

4. I will not build on any other foundation that Jesus Christ, the Word of God. When I met with the Pastor Parish Relations Committee, I was asked if I preached Biblical sermons, and I want to put to rest any doubts. I will build on the foundations of scripture, with the plumb line of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, for there is no salvation apart from Him.

I want to thank God for all of you. You have made my family and I feel at home this first week and we look forward to getting to know you all. I am excited about what God is doing in Adamsville, and I know that if we are faithful to lift up Christ in our life, chuch, and ministries that God will bring the increase!

No comments: