Monday, February 26, 2007

Galatians 2:20 Faith

I heard the story a couple of years ago about a group of deer hunters, who were standing on back porch, sipping their coffee before they set out. As they stood there, they heard a clatter from the trashcans at the back of the property, and turning, they saw the raccoon that has been causing trouble for months. All ten hunters grabbed their rifles and opened up on the animal, which jumped down a large drainpipe and out of sight. The owner of the house was not going to let the raccoon get away that easily. He got the can of gasoline from the garage and poured it down the drain. Then, standing back, he lit a match and threw it down the drain. It went out after a few feet. He tried again, with the same result. Finally, he lowered himself into the drain, lit a match, and reached his arm as deep into the pipe before letting the match fly. According to the local paper, it was at this point that the homeowner was shot out of the pipe and over his house, with a trail of fire behind him. He landed in the middle of the front lawn, with a few bruises and singed pants. He told the reporter afterwards, I would do it again if I knew I wouldn’t be hurt. When we find ourselves in a tight spot, do we have the fiery power of God behind us to move us beyond life’s obstacles?

Evangelist Reinhart Bonnke said, “Cool, casual Christianity will accomplish nothing. Our nation’s most urgent need is the flaming message of the cross -- now and not at our leisure.”

There was a young boy who was flunking math, so his parents sent him to a special evening class at the local Christian academy. To their amazement, he got straight A’s. Amazed, his mother asked what made the difference. The boy replied, “Those people don’t fool around with math. On the wall, they have a picture of a guy nailed to a plus sign.”

Do we see the cross of Christ as a plus or a minus?

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Do we see the cross of Christ as a positive or a negative? Crucifixion means death, not always in a physical sense, but just as real as a physical crucifixion.

Many would read this passage and conclude that Christianity is not for them; at least not this radical form which calls for such a sacrifice. Isn’t salvation a free gift, they say? I should be able to decide for myself how I will live, for I am a good person. I don’t want to die to anything. I want to live a good life my way.

Yet death does not have to be seen as a negative. Consider for a moment what we are called to die to:

1. The very idea that we can be justified, i.e., saved, by the law and our own works. Self-justification is a quicksand trap, for while we try to atone for a sin, we commit countless others. If almighty God were to keep a tab of our good work and our sins, the balance would forever and always run in the red. I must die to the notion that I am good enough and instead rely on the grace of Christ.

2. The world, with it’s applause, it’s treasures, and its gratification. Too many Christians today are caught in the allure of the world’s system, trying to keep up with the Joneses and in doing so, allowing others to dictate their morals, their lifestyle, and their goals. If I am crucified, then the world has no hold on me. Dead people don’t care what they wear, what they have, where they live. I am called by Paul in today’s passage to be dead to the world.

3. To self. Crucifixion was a death that brought terrible suffering. And it is a fitting symbol for our own struggle to surrender our will to the Father, for self will rise up again and again to exert its control over us. It is not only a bitter struggle, but also a daily battle. For when we say self, I am talking about the sinful nature that exists within each and every individual. I am talking about that part of us that continues to pull us away from the Father and our true heavenly home. If I am crucified with Christ, I must die to self.

As we consider what we are to die to, let us also consider what we are called to live in. What is this life that we talk about?

1. It is the assurance in the very depths of my soul that I am God’s and he is mine. It is the knowledge that Christ is living in my soul. It is the peace that I need not fear death or eternity. Do you know that you know that you know? Is there an assurance in your heart today? I have been amazed over the years at the number of Christians who lack that assurance because they have allowed the enemy of their soul to whisper in their ears, questioning who they are in Christ. If you have asked Christ into your heart but you don’t have that assurance, I want to pray with you today and we will ask God to give you that assurance.

2. It is the joy of living. As we walk out this life of faith, we will find joy in the journey we have been called to. God knew us before we were ever born (Jer..1) and God has a plan for our fulfillment. We have been created with a specific plan in mind, and that plan is for our joy, our fulfillment, and our completeness. When we seek God’s will, we will find our purpose in this life, and we’ll find the joy we need so desperately. The Bible tells us that the Joy of the Lord is our strength, and some of us have been on this journey far too long without that strength to help us.

3. In this life of faith, we walk in the promises and blessings of God. There is no greater privilege than to walk in the blessings of God, to have faith that the promises of God are mine, and that I will prosper in whatever I do, so long as I am willing to live for Christ.

It is in the crucifixion that our own faith is given the truest test. Are we willing to allow ourselves to be crucified with Christ so that we may live? Can we die to our works, to this world, to our own selfish nature? In every heart, there is a cross and a throne. Christ will be on one, and self will be on the other. Have I enthroned Christ or self?

May God find in this place men and women who will live Gal. 2.20 faith, who will die to self, so that they may live for Christ.

How do you see the cross today?

1 comment:

Sista Cala said...

Excellent post.