Monday, May 28, 2007

The Valley of Dry Bones

Ezekiel 37:1-14:

1. The hand of the Lord was upon me and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord; and he set me in the midst of a certain plain. It was very full, covered in bones. 2. And he caused me to pass over them, all around; and I beheld the bones were very many upon the plain and they were very dry! 3. And he said to me, “Human, can these bones live?” And I said, “Lord GOD, only you know.” 4. Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of GOD; 5. this is what the Lord GOD says to you dry bones: See! I will cause breath to enter you and you shall live. 6. And I will lay sinews and flesh upon you and I will spread skin upon you, and I will put breath-spirit into you and you will live again. Then you will know that I am GOD’.”

7. So I prophesied as he had commanded me; as I prophesied, there was a noise , and I beheld a rattling and the bones came together bone to bone. 8. And I looked again, and I saw sinews upon them and flesh had come upon them and he has covered them with skin, but there was no breath in them. 9. And he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath-spirit. Prophesy, human, and say to the breath-spirit, “Thus says the Lord GOD: come from the four winds, O breath-spirit, and breathe into these who were slain and they shall live.” 10. And I prophesied as he had commanded me. And the breath-spirit came into them and they lived. And they stood up on their feet, a very great army.

11. And he said to me, “Human, these bones are all the house of Israel. See! They are saying, ‘our bones are dried up and our hope is lost, for we are cut off.’ 12. Therefore, prophesy to them and say, “Thus says the Lord GOD: See! I have opened your graves and I will raise you from your graves, my people; Then I will bring you into the land of Israel. 13. And you will know that I am GOD, when I open your graves and raise you from your graves, my people. 14. And I will put my breath-spirit within you and you shall live. Then I will place you in your land and you will know that I GOD have spoken and have done it, says the Lord.”

Ezekiel was an exile in Babylon. And the passage begins, “The hand of the Lord was upon me.” This is an idiomatic expression for a trance-like state where God showed him the vision. In this vision, he is transported to a wide, full plain. Bones cover the ground for as far as the eye can see. And the prophet probably thought, God, why have you brought me to this unclean place? (A dead body is unclean and contact with one would make the person unclean.) Then God causes him to pass over them. The Hebrew translated around about is literally around, around. This gives the sense of a whirlwind, like Elijah, who was taken up in the whirlwind and a fiery chariot. As he cycles his way around this vast plain, he discovers two things about the bones: 1-- they are very many and 2-- they are very dry!

Then, God speaks. “Human. . .” “Can these bones live?” God is quick to remind Ezekiel of his role as creation. Ezekiel is pretty sharp, so he turns the question back on God. “God, only you knows." God isn’t about to let Ezekiel off that easily; he replies, Human, prophesy! “Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord: this is what the Lord GOD says to you dry bones: See! I will cause breath to enter you and you shall live. 6. And I will lay sinews and flesh upon you and I will spread skin upon you, and I will put breath-spirit into you and you will live again. Then you will know that I am GOD’.”

So Ezekiel prophesied. I looked up the word prophesy, and I made an interesting discovery. While it can mean the act of a prophet in word or vision, it can also mean anyone who speaks the word of the Lord. As he began to declare the words of the Lord, there was a noise -- a rattling -- a shaking -- and the bones came together BONE TO BONE! Can you see Ezekiel still spinning 35’ up in the air around the valley and suddenly the whole ground seems to heave? As he looks down, there is row after row of perfect skeletons. The foot bones are at the leg bones the leg bones connected to the knee bone . . . Have any of you ever sung that song? “The knee bones connected to the ______ bone, . . . them bones, them bones, them dry bones, now hear the word of the Lord.” And he looks again. Maybe he blinked, but suddenly the skeletons are covered with tendons and muscles and skin. As he looks, he makes this observation: there was no (ruah) in them. The Hebrew word ruah is translated as breath, wind, or spirit. The valley was full of perfectly formed bodies that lacked the breath of God that gives us life. If the vision stopped right here, those bodies would have decayed, the bones would have again been scattered, covering the ground, but God wasn’t through with them yet! Aren’t you glad that God finishes his work?

So God said to Ezekiel, “Prophesy to the ruah.” It came upon them, and they lived. And they stood up on their feet - a great army! This is all the house of Israel. But, there was still a problem. They were saying about themselves, “our bones are dried up, our hope is lost, and we are cut off.” So God says, “Speak to them and tell them I am raising them up from a pile of bones to a great army and I will bring them back into the Land of Promise!”

I want to quote this to you, because it sheds some light on this passage and I can’t say it any better than he did:

“The promises of their restoration and deliverance, which we have here in the latter part of the book, are for the encouraging of a humble faith. God had assured them that he would gather the house of Israel, even all of it, and return them to their own land; but there were two things that rendered this very unlikely: I. That they were so dispersed among their enemies, and so dispirited likewise in their own minds; they are here, in vision, compared to a valley full of the dry bones of dead men. . . II. That they were so divided among themselves, too much of the old enmity between Judah and Ephraim remaining even in their captivity.” -Matthew Henry

If you're a student of the Old Testament, you know who Ephraim and Judah are. Judah was Israel’s second oldest son who was made the son of inheritance after Israel wrote Reuben out of that part of the will, and Ephraim was the oldest son of Joseph (Israel’s favorite son). Yet despite all the obstacles, God restored Israel.

What does this passage have to say to us? I’ve been in pastoral ministry for almost ten years. In that time, I’ve heard some say, “It’s dry times. We just don’t have the numbers we used to. Maybe it’s just time to close down.” I’ve heard others say, “We don’t seem to be gaining ground, our hope is gone.” I want to echo the words of my God--We aren’t heading for a pile of dry bones, but an exceedingly great army! But like the children of Israel, we are so divided among our enemies, so dispirited, and so divided among ourselves that we fail to live as the body of Christ in the larger context of the world. Often there is a long way to go from piles of bones we find to the great army God sees. So what does Ezekiel tell us about how to get there?

First, before anything else happened, the vision came. Without a vision the people perish. (Proverbs 29:18a) What does God want to do here?

Second, someone has to begin to speak what God has said. We need to understand the power of the tongue. We need to be confessing over ourselves what God has shown us; that “God is restoring the years the locust have eaten.” “People are lining up to hear the word preached at Adamsville United Methodist Church.” Speak it with faith!

Once we have the vision and the faith, the restoration can begin. I see four steps that the passage lays out, and they show us the way to restoration.

1. Bone to bone. Eph. 3:16 says we are to be jointly fitted together. Look at the person sitting on either side of you. How well do you know them? What are they going through? What part of the body are they--what are their spiritual gifts? Bone to bone speaks of unity in the body of Christ. We need to come together to accomplish the ministries God has for us.

2. Sinews and Flesh. This is the ability to move--muscles and tendons. It speaks of our doing the work of the kingdom. As God shows us ways to reach outside the church to the community, it will take people willing to do the work. Not salvation through work, but our faith brings about our work.

3. Skin. The skin layer is an amazing thing. First, it protects us from the physical wear and tear that our bodies endure. Have you ever had a bruise? That is your skin protecting the organs, sinews and flesh of your body. The second thing that our skin does is it protects us from all the airborne germs and viruses. Most of these maladies are stopped before they ever have a chance to affect our bodies because of our skin. (We also look a lot better with skin. A person without it would be pretty ugly). In the body of Christ, the skin layer is our prayer covering. We need to continually pray for each other. As we begin to move ahead in the work of the church, we can expect the enemy to try to thwart our effort with spiritual attacks. If we don’t pray, we’ll become prey for the enemy.

4. Ruah. On Pentecost Sunday, we celebrate the third person of the Trinity. We need to allow his spirit to be Lord and to empower us. Jesus told his disciples that they were to wait until they had the power...ruah.

There is an order to the restoration. One comes before _____, two comes before _________, . . . There is an order to restoration. Step one needs to come first. I’ve seen churches where the congregation can’t get along well enough to sit on the same side of the church, but they continually pray for the ruah to empower them. If the bones come after the skin, the body won’t be formed correctly; if the breath comes before the body is complete, it can not live.

So as we conclude, I want to ask you, “Can our church live?” Only you know, GOD. He says to us, “Prophesy - Speak my word, find your place in the body, exercise your faith and the talents I’ve placed within you, pray for one another, and allow my Spirit to breathe new life into you.” We are a great army waiting to happen. Are you ready to rise up and be restored?

No comments: